Friday 24 April 2015

Krakow

Yesterday we did a trip to Krakow. Unfortunately, the planning was not that good and we had like 3 hours for the whole city which was really not enough. But we managed to see some great aspects of the city.



This was the first impression of Krakow and now I am feeling sorry that we don't have something like that in Austria. I know that there is a place to relax at the Donauinsel in Vienna but this is actually next to the castle, therefore really close to the city center. I even found my favourite place to relax where I would go if I would live in Krakow. There were also lots of tables where people of every age were coming together and playing chess.




After that, we were in the Jewish quarter and it was really impressing. This was really lively and there was this place where all the people just sat together and ate and the bus was a bar and so on. I have never seen a bus that is a bar now.


In the middle, there was a synagoge (unfortunately it was already closed) and lots of bars around that sell jewish stuff, like here: hummus & happiness. The funny thing is that the hand on the building is the hand of god for the jewish people, but I saw it too in Istanbul, where it is the hand of Fatima. It's like they all use the same stuff but for different meanings.

The buildings were mostly very interesting to look at - in most cases the face of the buildings was partly destroyed, but they did not restore it but just let it like that - like it was polnian style. And it actually looked good and fit into the face of the city. That was really interesting for me to see.


Of course they also had an old town - it is acutally a pretty big one. If you just walk straight ahead through the old town you need about 15 minutes to cross it. And outside, there is the wall, which is still in a great shape and around the wall there is a small park which probably used to be the moat. Therefore, there is a really big park area in the center. The city center was beautiful too and looked a little like Prague but for me the jewish part was more impressing.




And here I have a picture of all the Austrians at the Euroweek project for you that we took before we had to leave again. But I can really recommend you to visit Krakow!

No comments:

Post a Comment